PRIVACY NOTICE: CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
California Residents: Your Rights
California residents have specific rights regarding their personal information (“personal information” or PI) under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise them.
Right to Know About Personal Information Collected, Disclosed, or Sold You have the right to request that EBI disclose certain information to you about our collection, use, disclosure and sale of your personal information over the past twelve (12) months. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you;
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you (also called a data portability request).
Right to Request Deletion of Personal Information
You have the right to request that EBI delete any of your personal information that we have collected from you and maintain, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your request (including verification of your identity), we will delete your personal information from our records unless retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us; • Comply with a legal obligation; or
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Your Rights to Know and Deletion
To exercise your rights please submit a request to EBI’s Privacy Officer at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the following toll-free phone number: (800) 324-7700. Additional Consumer Resources information is available at www.ebiinc.com/consumer-disputes.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf (i.e., your authorized agent), may make a request related to your personal information. You may also make a request on behalf of your minor child. An authorized agent is someone acting on your behalf and EBI may ask that you provide your authorized agent with written permission to act on your behalf and also to verify their own identity.
Your request must:
- Provide sufficient information for us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized agent.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
In order to verify your request, we will require that you provide us with at least two (2) identifiers based on information we have about you to verify your identity. Those identifiers may include your SSN and date of birth.
Existing Account Holders: making a request does not require you to create an account with us, however, if you have an existing account with us, all requests must be made through your account.
We will only use personal information provided in a request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of Your Privacy Rights Under the CCPA
EBI will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
Deny you services;
- Charge you different prices or rates for services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties;
- Provide you a different level or quality of services; and/or
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for services or a different level or quality of services.
Categories of Personal Information Collected and Disclosed in the Last Twelve (12) Months
You have the right to know, without making a request, the categories of personal information EBI has collected and disclosed from its consumers within the last twelve (12) months.
Categories of PI Collected
In the preceding twelve (12) months, EBI has collected the following categories of personal information about consumers:
- Identifiers such as name, physical address, email address, SSN, date of birth, driver’s license number;
- Gender; and
- Information contained in a consumer report or investigative consumer report, such as criminal history information, professional or employment-related information and education information, reference information, credit history (if permissible), motor vehicle records, drug testing results, and social media information.
This information is collected from you, the consumer, as well as from other sources, such as law enforcement agencies, public record repositories, educational institutions, credit bureaus, employers, and third-party databases.
Categories of PI Disclosed
Personally Identifiable Information
“Personally Identifiable Information (PII)” or “Non-Public Personal Information (NPI)” means all information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context, whether oral, written, computerized, digitized or otherwise.
The following types of information are considered to be PII or NPI if provided in its entirety and on its own:
- Social Security Number; or
- Social Insurance Number; or
- National Identification Number; or • Other country or state identification number; or
- Passport #; or
- Driver’s License Number
Non-personally Identifiable InformationWhen you visit our Website, we may collect and store general Internet data, such as your domain name, IP address browser type, date and time of access, which of our web pages you visited, the referring Uniform Resource Locator (URL) and how long you spent on each page. This information may be collected to assist us in making improvements to our Website and to administer our Website. We do not link this information to any PII. EBI may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate these services (e.g., maintenance, analysis, audit, development). These third parties have limited access to your information and only to perform these services or tasks on our behalf.
EBI Does Not Sell Personal Information For Marketing Purposes
Any sale of your personal information is based on your consent and only for purposes related to employment background screening and occupational health screening as permitted under federal and state law. We do not sell your personal information for marketing purposes.
ADDITIONAL PRIVACY NOTICE: CALIFORNIA INVESTIGATIVE CONSUMER REPORTS
This notice is provided for California residents.
As defined by California law (Cal. Civ. Code § 1786 et seq.), an “investigative consumer report” is a consumer report containing information on a consumer's character, general reputation, personal characteristics or mode of living. Under California law, EBI compiles “investigative consumer reports” about individuals and provides them to businesses for background screening and occupational health screening purposes.
Personal Information Disclosure: United States or Overseas
In connection with our preparation and processing of investigative consumer reports under California law, we are required to advise you that EBI may transfer personal information about you to our authorized service providers and affiliates outside the United States and its territories. In the event that international services are requested (non-US), it may be necessary for EBI to transfer personal information to an international service provider.
EBI’s policies and procedures for preparing and processing of investigative consumer reports are designed to comply with the requirements of the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act (Cal. Civ. Code §1786 et seq.) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq.).
To obtain additional information about EBI’s privacy practices and policies in the event of a compromise of your information, please contact:
Employment Background Investigations (EBI), Inc.
700 Red Brook Blvd.
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Telephone: (800) 324-7700